Monday, February 18, 2008

Third Eye Blind Hated This Movie

Movie reviews are best written three days after seeing a movie, during which you took no notes and may or may not have slept through 15- 75 minutes of the film.

Apparently I can continue because this review will fit that criteria.

(But Chip, I thought you only wrote about sports and cracked out observations about the idiotic things that pop into your head.)

Shut up, Mom.

Alright, so Jumper.

Usually I’m a big fan of a movie if it does the following things:

1. Has Sam Jackson

2. Has Hayden Christianson and is not a Star Wars film (thank you Shattered Glass, which is ironically what I used to gouge out my eyes after the credits.)

3. Takes a ridiculous premise (teleporting) treats it like it would only take 3 minutes for the average person to be ok with the fact that they can now do this ridiculous thing, and then claim that a major historical event was actually caused by this premise, and not by the reason we know to be true. (In this Oscar worthy script, Jumpers caused the inquisition. Suck on that Mel Brooks.)




4. Features a highly paid actor (Diane Lane) to appear in about 12 seconds of the movie.

So, as you probably guessed, Jumper did all those things, but sadly the only emotion that it pulled from me was when my contacts dried and I forced myself to cry (yes I can do that, be jealous) just to rewet them. Then the stranger sitting next to me saw me crying and thought it was because of Rachel Bilson’s powerful acting and then he started crying, and sooner than later everyone else was balling their eyes out. (that didn’t happen, this is a terrible review.)

That being said there are reasons to check this thing out. People like The Fast and the Furious because we as a society like speed (not the drug Pete Rose, watch it with the jokes.) This movie had crazy speed (and might have been better on drugs) which should bring in a solid box office number.

Also Rachel Bilson is obviously an attractive young lady, but I’m starting to question the characters she picks in movies. I’ve only seen her in two, but in The Last Kiss she’s tries to break up Zach Braff and his preggers gf by having sex with him (classy stuff,) and in this one she sleeps with someone that is clearly a felon and that she thought was dead for 10 years because her bf at the time killed him just because he was back, stared at her while she worked for 45 minutes and took her to Rome, without asking any questions. Girl has no standards.

My suggestions, instead of going to see Jumper, you should literally jump into traffic, then jump out. Then back in, and then back out.

Then give me the money you would have spent and we’ll call it even.

No comments: