Friday, March 7, 2008

If You Can't Cheat, Steal: The AJ Price Story

Today I happened across an article (I had really hoped it would be a charticle... a las) featuring AJ Price’s comments after losing to Providence last night. He was apparently upset at the way the fans and players carried themselves after upsetting his UConn team for the second time this season.

“Real disrespectful," Price said of the Friars without a hint of sarcasm or hesitation. "They don't know how to win, and it showed. They were laughing, mocking. I usually have a lot of respect for other teams, but they showed a lack of respect last game. They beat up on us and made a mockery of it."...

"We'll be ready to go. ... We want to blow them out. That's what we're going there to play for."

Personally, I’m amazed at Price’s audacity. Let me bring you back in time to a story that seems to have been completely ignored this year.

When AJ Price started at UConn he had a brain aneurism during practice. I can imagine that’s a rocky (road) way to start your freshman year, and he was forced to sit out the remainder of the season. That’s sad, I agree, but what’s not sad is the following season when he sat out for stealing laptops with his buddy Marcus Williams (Williams was only suspended for the equivalent of 8 games, while Price had to sit out the rest of the year.)

I’ll still never understand why Williams and Price received different punishments (oh yeah… Williams was much better and Jim Calhoun is shady) but I also don’t get how guys who go through what Price did can come out being this cocky and arrogant.

If fans want to celebrate that’s their prerogative, and if you’re feeling were hurt, it’s time to grow up. You lost, and they celebrated by laughing? Is that really the worst possible thing they could have done? I mean at least they didn’t make you go through this.


No comments: