Saturday, March 8, 2008

Getting Out Of The Funk(master Flex)

I want to apologize for the somewhat pessimistic nature of the majority of the recent posts. I know most people judge their entire mood by what’s in the blog here, and I feel awful for putting them in a funk. So I’ve found two different ways to brighten your mood.

First Demetri Martin.

Yea, I've never listened to Travis, but I'm a big fan of all one named musicians. (OK just Pink.) Also, if you're feeling down, I have found a great book to inspire dudes (sorry ladies, you'll have to go back to the old faithful.)

It's titled Things I've Learned From Women Who've Dumped Me, featuring some big name comedians like Stephen Colbert, Will Forte, Patton Oswalt, Bob Odenkirk and Andy Richter. It was compiled by a former Daily Show producer Ben Karlin.

While each story isn't great most of them succeeded in at least making me smile, some making me laugh out loud. Chapters include Oswalt's "Dating A Stripper Is a Recipe for Perspective" and Richter's "Girls Don't Make Passes at Boys with Fat Asses."

I didn't identify with every story necessarily, but the ones that did were absolutely incredible. I also want to make sure it's clear that this is not some inspirational wallowing in the past collection. Instead it's just a goofy set of stories that give some perspective to life.

So go to the bookstore, and just check out the first passage, written by Karlin's mother entitled "I Think My Son Is a Catch." If it doesn't make you laugh... well I actually can't judge you for that... it just worked for me.

He's tall, but not too. He runs marathons and scales mountains. And of course he has those gorgeous blue eyes. And on top of it all, he's funny. Of course I didn't think everything he did was so funny when he was a kid. I used to tell him "that's not so funny" all over the house. Back then I called him a smart aleck but now I call him "creative." If you make money from being a smart aleck, you're creative. If you don't make money you're a putz.

No comments: